Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Because Military Heroes are Awesome, by Kaylea Cross

Hi there! *waves* I'm Kaylea Cross, and I love military heroes. A lot. Now, because my friends and family know I'm actually a pacifist wimp, I get asked all the time why I write about military characters and military themes. The answer is, because they're awesome. (I mean, hello.)

Writing about men and women who stand up for what they believe in, serve their country with honor and who are willing to do whatever it takes to protect the lives of their teammates and loved ones--come on, what's not to love about that?

One thing I put a lot of effort into is my research. In every one of my books I weave in bits of information that I hope readers will be interested in. Most of all, I love showing what our men and women in uniform are doing out there in harm's way.

My latest series is the Bagram Special Ops series, which features AFSOC Combat Controllers and Pararescuemen, along with female pilots and a Security Forces member. Doing research for this series was so interesting and fun. I interviewed several pilots, including one who survived a crash so I could get the details of a crash scene just right (in book one, Deadly Descent), and through a friend I got to meet a recently retired Pararescueman (PJ) who's been invaluable in answering all the questions I've thrown at him. That Others May Live, baby!

Book two of the series, Tactical Strike, just released lat month, so in honor of my first post here I'm giving away a digital copy to a commenter! The contest will end Friday May 3rd at 6 pm EST. To enter, just leave a comment about why you love military heroes.



 Blurb: Gunship pilot Captain Candace Bradford has worked long and hard to earn her rank and position within the male-dominated world of Air Force Special Operations. She's not about to let anything or anyone jeopardize that, let alone one sinfully tempting man who seems determined to cause her nothing but trouble. Even if she's starting to fall for him.

As an elite Combat Controller, Staff Sergeant Ryan Wentworth is used to overcoming adversity in order to complete a mission. Breaking through Candace's prickly exterior and into her heart is a challenge he can't let go. But just when he's begun to gain her trust, they're thrown together in the field facing an overwhelming enemy force.

Candace and Ryan find themselves on the run, searching the skies for an emergency extraction. But one dangerous enemy has an agenda in mind and he'll use whatever means necessary to achieve it, including using American forces to do his dirty work.


Happy reading!
Kaylea 
 

Kaylea Cross writes edge-of-your-seat military romantic suspense. Her work has won many awards and has been nominated for both the Daphne du Maurier and the National Readers’ Choice Awards. A Registered Massage Therapist by trade, Kaylea is also an avid gardener, artist, Civil War buff, Special Ops aficionado, belly dance enthusiast and former nationally-carded softball pitcher. She and lives in Vancouver, BC with her family.
You can find Kaylea through her website, Twitter, Facebook, and blog.

4 comments:

  1. I love military romance for all of the reasons you stated! These men and women are awesome and inspire me to be more. I admire them because they have the courage to do what they do. They have my respect for sacrificing so much to protect us all. I love military romance because I can get to 'know' these men and women, something that wouldn't happen in 'real life'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly! I admire them so much, and their families too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already know I love your military books Kaylea! Rock on. Already have Tactical Strike, so leave me out of your drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Karen C, guess what? You win the book :). Please email me at info@kayleacross.com and let me know what format you'd like the ebook in.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete