Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Three Reasons I Love The Marines

Since we're kicking off the For the Love of Military Romance blog, I wanted to get a few thoughts out on paper right away. One of the questions I get asked most often about military romance is why do I write Marines? Why Marines? Or my favorite, why did you pick the Marines?

The easy answer is...

They picked me.

Yes, that's the easy, simple answer. When it came to sitting down and writing Once Her Man, Always Her Man, I didn't wonder what branch Luke was in...he just told me he was in the Marines. From there, you could say the rest was history. But if I were to look deeper I would say a part of that inspiration came from the photograph of my uncle in his dress blues years before I was born...or better, the image of every single Marine I've ever seen on the news, on television shows and in films.




Honor, Commitment, Courage. These are the core values of the USMC. And the three reasons I love to write them as my heroes and heroines.

From the USMC Principles and Values


HONOR
A code of personal integrity, honor guides those who do the right thing when no one is looking. It is not only a duty, but also a distinction, as those who possess honor are held in honor. It's found in one's beliefs, but exhibited through one's actions. Marines are held to the highest of standards, ethically and morally. Marines are expected to act responsibly in a manner befitting the title they've earned.

COURAGE
When other principles are tested, it's courage that prevents them from crumbling. It isn't ignoring fear, but being stronger than fear. Courage is the guardian of all other values. It is there when times are toughest, when difficult decisions have to be made.  It takes the form of mental, physical and ethical strength, and is found in the backbone of every Marine.

COMMITMENT
Commitment is the spirit of determination found in every Marine. It is what compels Marines to serve our nation and the Corps, and to continue on when others quit. Commitment doesn't take breaks and it cannot be faked. It measures and proves one's desire, dedication and faithfulness. Becoming a United States Marine represents the highest level of commitment.



So while the easy answer may be simple, my love for Marines is a great deal more complicated and layered. These are real people who become Marines, they go through intense training to prove their worth as a Marine and once a Marine...always a Marine.

Please join me this weekend for the Always a Marine anniversary party, celebrating one year since Once Her Man, Always Her Man debuted. The blog party starts here on Saturday and heads over to my blog on Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. I also have a special place in my heart for Marines. My grandfather was a double-purple heart recipient WWII Marine that NEVER failed to salute a fellow soldier or thank a veteran for their service. When he passed away 2 years ago, he was the oldest veteran in his VFW Hall and ALL of the local veterans came to his funeral. It was very inspirational and he had a big influence on what I have always looked for in a mate. Congrats on your one year anniversary and happy belated b-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, that's an amazing story! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. My big sister 5'2" is a former woman Marine. I chose to Go Navy. My parents, her husband, my husband all went Army and her son was a West Point graduate and my father in-law was retired Air Force. It really doesn't matter what branch Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine or Coast Guard those that serve or have served hold a special place in our hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Heather. There is just something about a Marine. It is in the way they walk into a room with such confidence. I will be there for the party on Saturday too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Marines ever since one of my older cousins joined the Marines. I still remember him going from the crazy wild teenager to the steady man he became once he put on that uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what's not to love about them? They do an amazing job, and often don't have all the fancy equipment, not that there's anything wrong with any of their equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved the Marines. Two of my uncles were in the Marines before I was born. But both of them continued to serve their community by being big supporters on Toys for Tots. Thank you for sharing on this blog. I'm excited to be following it & being introduced to new authors. Some I know & others I cannot wait to get to know.

    ReplyDelete